Microbial (strain) Typing
Eurofins Sinensis, fully GMP certified, offers Microbial (strain) Typing on pharmaceutical raw materials, process intermediates and finished products. This technique is commonly used by Quality control labs in for instance pharmaceutical, biotechnological, food, medical device and health care industries to track and trend microbial contaminations and environmental monitoring isolates.
Repetitive element sequence-based PCR (rep-PCR)
To control unwanted bacteria you need to know what the contaminating organism is and how it entered your environment. Eurofins Sinensis offers a microbial characterization (typing) service using rep-PCR in combination with 16S sequencing. These techniques use the power of DNA to not only identify the genus/species of contaminants, but also provide deeper, strain-level typing at the same time. This fine degree of resolution applies to environmental isolates, pathogens, spoilage organisms, control strains, beneficial organisms or any other bacteria that are important to the industry.
Repetitive element sequence-based PCR (rep-PCR) is a typing method that enables the generation of DNA fingerprints that discriminates different samples. Eukaryotic and prokaryotic DNA contains so-called repetitive DNA elements distributed more or less randomly over the genome. Rep-PCR uses primers complementary to interspersed repetitive consensus sequences that enable amplification of diverse-sized DNA fragments consisting of sequences between the repetitive elements. The PCR-products are separated by a microfluidics-based platform for sizing and a species (sometimes strain)-specific pattern is obtained. Isolates with similar patterns (i.e. belonging to the same species) will cluster together.
Examples of the repetitive elements
- The repetitive extragenic palindromic (REP) sequences
- The enterobacterial repetitive intergenic consensus (ERIC) sequences
- The BOX sequences
- The polytrinucleotide (GTG)5 sequence.
If you have any questions regarding our services, please do not hestitate to contact us to find out whether we can help.
- Single-point-of-contact. Eurofins Sinensis has all expertises within the same organization, allowing clear and reliable communication.
- All services available internally. As Eurofins Sinensis is the mother holding of several complementary companies, all this expertise is brought together in one multidisciplinal organization.
- Standard and custom services. Whenever necessary, additional services like pure culturing and/or testing of more, other genes can be provided. Please contact us if you want to discuss your needs.